I’m a senior lecturer in Kyoto University, Japan.
My research interests include Information Retrieval, Web Mining, and Machine Learning.
- Senior Lecturer: Institute for Liberal Arts and Sciences, Kyoto University.
- Oct 2018 - : PRESTO Research Fellow (Japan Science and Technology Agency)
- Aug 2017 - : Senior Lecturer (Institute for Liberal Arts and Sciences, Kyoto University)
- Oct 2012 – Jul 2017: Assistant Professor (Graduate School of Informatics, Kyoto University)
- Jun 2011 – Sep 2011: Microsoft Research Internship (under supervision by Dr. Susan Dumais in CLUES group)
- Dec 2010 – Feb 2011: Microsoft Research Asia Internship (under supervision by Dr. Tetsuya Sakai in WSM group)
- May 2010 – Oct 2010: Microsoft Research Asia Internship (under supervision by Dr. Tetsuya Sakai in WIT group)
- Apr 2010 – Sep 2012: JSPS Research Fellow
- Oct 2009 – Sep 2012: Graduate School of Informatics, Kyoto University (PhD of Informatics)
- Apr 2008 – Sep 2009: Graduate School of Informatics, Kyoto University (Master of Informatics)
- Apr 2004 – Mar 2008: Department of Information Science, Kyoto University (Bachelor of Engineering)
- ACM Multimedia 2018 Best Paper Award
(Bei Liu, Jianlong Fu, Makoto P. Kato, and Masatoshi Yoshikawa: Beyond Narrative Description: Generating Poetry from Images by Multi-Adversarial Training)
- WISE 2008 Kambayashi Best Paper Award
(Makoto Kato, Hiroaki Ohshima, Satoshi Oyama, and Katsumi Tanaka: Can Social Tagging Improve Web Image Search?)
- Address: Yoshida Honmachi, Sakyo, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
- Tel: +81-75-753-5959
- E-mail: mpkato at-mark acm.org